It took just a couple days to fill our 7,500-bushel Harvestore silo.
It took just a couple days to fill our 7,500-bushel Harvestore silo.

We are so happy to say that we have finished all of our 2020 fieldwork! October has been a very busy month. We only had a few issues with our older combine but after two days waiting on parts Jeramie was able replace the bearing. 

Our high moisture corn went smoothly only taking a couple of days to fill our 7,500-bushel Harvestore silo. The corn was at 25% moisture content, which is absolutely perfect. Last year we put in a new power sweep unloader that allows us to put our corn in a little bit wetter. Jeramie finds that 25% corn works well for us. In the past, before the new unloader, we had to have the corn below 22% or it would sometimes freeze in the silo and wouldn’t come out. But last winter we had our corn in at 26% and did not have any trouble with the corn unloading. 

We also got our manure pit emptied and dug in. We only took two days to get the manure pit empty with help from our neighbor, Brad. Ethan spent those days in the skidloader loading and Jeramie and Brad both hauled. It is so wonderful to have good help, especially with such a smelly job. We like to get it done quickly, get it dug in and get all the equipment washed cup and put away – in the machine shed that is currently not finished.  Jeramie and Ethan still have to get the back wall and the front door installed on that project. I am hoping that we can get that finished before the snow gets too deep or deer hunting begins.