The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides assistance to eligible producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather, disease and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected by federal law.
    LIP compensates livestock owners and contract growers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather, including losses due to hurricanes, floods, blizzards, wildfires, extreme heat or extreme cold.
    For disease losses, FSA county committees can accept veterinarian certifications that livestock deaths were directly related to adverse weather and unpreventable through good animal husbandry and management.
    Due to an amendment in the Bipartisan Budget Act (BBA), for 2017, 2018 and subsequent livestock losses, eligible livestock owners must file a notice of loss by the later of:
    - Thirty calendar days of when the loss is first apparent; or
    - Sixty days after the regulations governing LIP, including BBA provisions, are published in the Federal Register.
    Participants must provide the following supporting documentation to their FSA office no later than 90 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the eligible loss condition occurred.
    - Proof of death documentation.
    - Copy of grower’s contracts.
    - Proof of normal mortality documentation.
    USDA has established normal mortality rates for each type and weight range of eligible livestock, i.e. adult beef cow = 1.5 percent and non-adult beef cattle (less than 400 pounds) = 5 percent. These established percentages reflect losses that are considered expected or typical under normal conditions.
    In addition to filing a notice of loss, producers must also submit an application for payment by March 31, 2019. Additional Information about LIP is available at your FSA office or online at
    Farm Service Agency is an Equal Opportunity Lender. Complaints about discrimination should be sent to: Secretary of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. 20250. Visit the Farm Service Agency Web site at: for necessary application forms and updates on USDA programs.